The Coronavirus is all everyone is hearing about anymore. While I think everyone should be taking precautions to avoid getting sick, I think a lot of people don’t understand how the immune system works, and are taking the wrong precautions.
I’ve been wanting to get my blog started up again, and I figured now is the perfect time to share what I’ve been doing to stay healthy (naturally, without the use of toxic chemicals), and also share what I’ve been stocking up on (and not stocking up on for that matter.)
Some of the things I’m currently using/doing to boost my immune system and help me stay sane are:
- Elderberry! I swear by this stuff. I recommend it to EVERYONE! It’s high in Zinc, Vitamin C, and Antioxidants to boost your immune system. It also has anti-viral properties (and the coronavirus is viral, not bacterial.) When I had the flu last year, it only lasted for 4 days thanks to this stuff. Also, I get sick a lot in general and I have yet to get sick this cold and flu season *Knock on wood*, and I’ve been taking elderberry daily. But even if you’re a skeptic, it definitely won’t hurt to give it a try! I like Elderberry Syrup the best, but they sell it in candies, gummies, capsules, etc.
- Echinacea: Echinacea supports immune function as well. Dr. Axe has a really good post about the benefits of Echinacea. I’ve been drinking Echinacea tea for years as my bedtime tea since it’s caffeine free, to help boost my immunity.
- Chaga Tea: Chaga is a mushroom that’s been used for medicinal purposes for a long time! Again, it boosts immune function, but it also helps relieve stress and anxiety! (And I know a lot of us are struggling with that while quarantined.) This is a staple in my pantry and any time I feel like I’m coming down with something, I drink 1-2 cups a day.
- Exercise: Exercise is a great way to get your lungs strong! It’s also a great way to relieve stress and anxiety. There are a bunch of free workouts and live workouts on social media lately, so find a few to do and get to it!
- Disinfecting…with natural disinfectants: All the Lysol, Clorox, and other strong, chemical filled disinfectants wreak havoc on my body. The fragrance in them makes me nauseous and the toxic chemicals make it more difficult to breathe, plus they make me dizzy! I know I’m more sensitive to chemicals than the average person, but inhaling a bunch of toxic chemicals probably isn’t good when a virus that causes pneumonia is going around. I like to use a mixture of water and white vinegar with some lemon juice to disinfect naturally! This combination still has the germ killing abilities without creating a toxic environment!
What I’m not doing…
- Buying all the toilet paper: I don’t understand this one…why do people think they need a years’ worth of toilet paper to last a few weeks? And if they really are using that much toilet paper, they have worse things than the coronavirus to worry about…
- Buying all the cold and flu medicine: I’ve been to multiple grocery stores and in every single store, all the cold and flu medicine is GONE! This just proves how little people know about how our immune system works. If you get coronavirus, a cold, or the flu, these medicines make it last longer because they suppress your body’s natural immune response to killing the virus. A better route to go would be stocking up on immune boosting supplements and herbs (like I’ve already mentioned.)
- Panicking: Panic doesn’t do anyone any good. It just makes you make irrational decisions…like buying all the toilet paper. If you start to feel the anxiety and panic coming on, get some exercise, make yourself some Chaga tea, take a few deep breaths, and relax. Know you’re not alone…the rest of the world is in the same boat right now. But I believe that God has a plan and there is a reason for everything. So be grateful for what you have instead of dwelling on what you’ve lost, take things one day at a time and remember that this will pass.
So friends, good luck and STAY HEALTHY!